TESTIMONY: Tatiana: “The Jews were brought on foot towards the fields. They were lined up around the well and they were shot.”
BASIC INFO: From May 10-27, a Yahad team investigated on the ground in southern Ukraine, specifically in the Kherson Region. The team recorded testimonies focusing on the disappeared Jewish settlements in the region, the plight of Jewish refugees in the area and the executions of the Roma among other thematics. Our team was joined for several days by our Rabbinic Advisor Mendel Samama.
During this research trip the tem interviewed 43 witnesses and located 23 mass graves.
PLACES: Taras Shevtchenko, Vysoke, Beryslav, Novoberyslav, Krasnosilske, Zamozhne, Novy Shliakh, Vasylivka, Kalynivske, Snigurivka, Lvove, Vysuntsi, Nadezhdivka, Oleshky, Bekhtery, Gola Prystan, Zelenivka, Stepanivka, Darivka, Chaplynka, Genichesk, Askania-Nova, Malokakhovka, Kakhovka, Chornianka, Tsukury, Novotymofiivka.
– The Jewish settlements in the Kherson area and their disappearance during the Holocaust
– The massacres perpetrated by the members of the Einsatzgruppe D in the towns, where the Jewish population was large
– The fate of Jewish refugees in the region
– The shooting of the patients of the psychiatric hospital of Stepanivka
– Executions of the Roma population
This trip was made possible with the support of the German Federal Foreign Office.